Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shopping...Food Coop

I just had this remarkable experience today. There is a Food Coop where you pay for food at nearly half the price. You pay for your food at the first of the month and the end of the month you go and pick up your treasures. Part of the program is that you are to do volunteer time as part of the cost of the food. I ordered my food at the beginning the month and at the end of the month I go pick it up. I was not sure what I was in for. I was thinking I would not get very much, however I felt I would try something out so I can share with my customers. So this is what I ordered. Standard share which consist of chuck roast, chicken leg and thigh, country style spare ribs, fresh fruits 3 varieties, fresh veggies 5 varieties, whole wheat bread and 16 oz of rice. I also ordered the harvest share thinking I would need more veggies and fruit which just included the veggies and fruit from above. So I stood in line, was amazed at the amount of food. Instead of getting 3 potatoes, I got 2 bags of potatoes. Mind you I just thought they would give you a bag and fill a bag with a few things. I had a huge box and it was over flowing so much, I could not take all the food. A few things I got were, 2 bags of potatoes, 2 bags of carrots, 6 apples, 6 avocados, 3 big bags of spinach, 6 pears, 8 oranges( which I only got 4 of because I was running out of room) asparagus, peppers, rice, bread, and the meat. For all of this plus some volunteer time, I only paid 35 dollars... is that a great deal or what? I have enough food to last me without going grocery shopping of a week. It just was a great experience and I wanted to share.

No comments: